Need A ‘To The Point’ Acne Guideline?
Check Out Our Helpful & Quick Reference Guide for Acne Sufferers
This is SkinMiles’ and Dr Alek Nikolic’s quick guide for anyone who suffers from acne or pimples. Get educated or directed in how to treat acne, some clever at home guidelines, find out what acne and pimples are and their causes, and what acne skin care products are recommended by Dr Alek Nikolic.
What Are Pimples, Breakouts and Acne?
Very simply put acne (or pimples) is a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become plugged or blocked with oil and dead skin cells. It is most common among teenagers, with a reported prevalence of 70% to 87% but acne is increasing among younger children and even with adults (25% of all adults are affected).
Depending on its severity, acne can cause emotional distress and scar the skin. The earlier you start treatment, the lower your risk of lasting physical and emotional damage.
Causes of acne
- Oil production: have oily skin read more here.
- Dead skin cells
- Clogged pores: read how to exfoliate your skin here.
Acne comes in many forms:
- Whiteheads – closed plugged pores
- Blackheads – open plugged pores where the oil turns brown when exposed to air
- Papules – small red, tender bumps
- Pustules – pimples, which are papules with pus at their tips
- Nodules – large, solid, painful lumps beneath the surface of the skin
- Cystic lesions – painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin
Recommended Treatment Guideline:
- Oil Free Sunscreen: to prevent further skin damage and collagen and elastin breakdown
- Anti-Oxidants: fight free radicle damage and improve the health of cells
- Oil Free Moisturiser: especially for dry skin sufferers
- Skin boosters: retinol is a super ingredient that dramatically reduces oil production and improves the health of skin cells
- Exfoliants and Cleansers: ensure they have Alphahydroxy (AHA), polyhydroxy acids (PHA) or salicylic acid (BHA) in them
- Chemical peels: containing glycolic or salicylic acid
- Prescribed Medication: antibiotics, oral contraceptive, hormone suppressants, and Roaccutane
Need More Info?
- Further Reading & Recommended In Depth Articles:
- For More Skincare Advice:
- Take Our Skin Assessment: see immediate recommendations for your skin type and/or skin concern
- Take Dr Alek Nikolic’s Face2Face Skin Consultation: get personal recommendations for your skin from Dr Alek
- See Our Full Treatment Product List For Acne: please click here
- Dr Alek Nikolic’s Top Picks for Acne Skin:
- HELIOCARE 360 GEL OIL FREE
- SKINCEUTICALS BLEMISH + AGE DEFENSE SERUM
- SKINCEUTICALS RETINOL 0.3
- DERMACEUTIC ACTIV RETINOL 0.5
- OBAGI CLENZIderm M.D. SYSTEM NORMAL TO OILY SKIN
- DERMAQUEST DERMACLEAR BHA CLEANSER